Sunday, February 26, 2012

The first Card Set showing players in All Star uniforms

I will never forget the day that I read a little blurb in the fall of 1982 in the Sporting News that Topps was not going to make any Basketball (and Hockey sets though we got O-Pee-Chee) sets that year. Ugh, I was not going to get my Kelly Tripuka rookie card. Sometime in the summer of 1983, the Star Company put out a 33 card NBA All-Star set of all the players from the 1983 All-Star game. The only way to get this set was from card dealers or the company directly. I believe I got my set from a card dealer. What this set also did was for the first time ever feature players of any sport in there All-Star uniform (sorry Baseball does not count - since they wear there teams regular season uniform). Also, as a side note the Star Company did produce World Champion set for the Philadephia 76ers but that set did not come out until, I believe Dec of 1983 or Jan of 1984. Just before the Star Company released
its massive 23 team sets in Feb of 1984.

No comments:

Post a Comment