Sunday, May 8, 2011

Baseball Card Mystery - 2008 Topps Woody Williams #621

You are asking why I don't have a picture of this card. Well I have not been able to find one because I am pretty sure that this baseball card was never produced. If you own a 2008 Topps factory set, you will see that card #621 was checklisted Woody Williams. However, if you find the card in the set, #621 was Denard Span. Card #621was in Series 2 of the Topps Set. Woody Williams was released by the Astros on March 28, 2008 and Denard Span made his major league debut on April 6, 2008. Obviously, the factory set boxes were produced much earlier than that. Topps pulled Williams card from the checklist and inserted Span. The checklist that you would receive in Series 2 packs, had Span listed as card #621. This is MYSTERY SOLVED.

This mystery reminded me of a situation that I think happened in the 1988 Topps set. Steve Carlton was listed on the checklist but another player occupied his spot. However, I think there were checklist variations which one had Carlton's name and another had the other player listed.

The real mystery would be is there a Woody Williams printing plate floating around or maybe a 1988 Topps Steve Carlton printing plate (or in the olden days they were called proofs) floating around.

1 comment:

  1. I just picked up one of the 14 card factory team sets of the Astros and there's a Woody card in it! Of course it's numbered HOU7 but I still thought it was really cool.

    moe.

    ReplyDelete