Sunday, May 29, 2011

George Foster vs. Jason Patric

GEORGE FOSTER WEEKEND. Topps previously had theme cards that said AL Sluggers etc... /combo cards in previous sets (mostly from the late 1950s - late 1960s) However, the design was a little different than a regular issued card as were the backs. In 1981, Fleer issued theme cards of players and not only kept the same design but kept the same backs also. A couple of these cards are famous for errors. Though in 1981 it was only fitting that the gave George Foster a card that had Slugger.

In 1997, while I was at school, the school showed a movie called Sleepers. The movie was really two parts. The first part dealt with a group of boys how their acts as boys would later impact their lives when they were grown up (which was the second part of the movie and that had major actors protraying them as adults). I have seen the whole movie twice but I have watched the second half of the movie about 5-6 times. The second half of the movie had some great court room drama and some great acting. The actors who appeared in this movie were named Kevin Bacon, Brad Pitt, Dustin Hoffman and Robert Dinero (and also Minnie Driver). However, if you were around at the time the name of the actor that had top billing was Jason Patric. Yes, Jason Patric had top billing in this movie over all the others. I was not really following Hollywood at this time (I was in school), but I guess he was a star(I think he was engaged to Julia Roberts at one point, but I could be wrong).

Jason Patric reminds me a little of George Foster - replace the above actors names with Joe Morgan, Tony Perez, Johnny Bench, and Pete Rose (yes Dinero is Pete Rose) then Foster would be Jason Patric because I think in 1977 and 1978 he would have received Top Billing among this group of players.

No comments:

Post a Comment