Monday, May 16, 2011

Basketball Card Price Guide History – 1980-81 Topps Bird Magic rookie

Back in December of 1980, I sent away for (for about 6.99 ppd), a complete set of 1980-81 Topps Basketball cards. When I received the cards, I was amazed that the cards I was particularly looking forward to having were in non perforated 3 card panels. Topps, how could you do this to me. How I wanted to hold a 2 ½ by 3 ½ Topps rookie basketball card of Larry Bird in my hand. How Topps ruined it all for me. This was a time before the internet and card set previews, I had no idea I was going to get these type of cards. Aagh!!!!! I eventually undid the perforation and within the last 3 years sold all the cards (including the Bird rookie). How I wish Topps would create a reprint in 2 ½ by 3 ½  size of the 1980-81 Bird rookie. Anyway, here are the prices for the Bird/Magic rookie through the years:

Fall 1982 Renata Galasso                   $----- (Not listed whole set listed at $8.00)
12/1990 FBH Collector                      $210.00
10/1996 SportsCards                         $475.00
10/1998 SportsCards                         $450.00
Last week on Ebay                             $191.00 (4 sales)

I don’t have any listed prices from the past 13 years but this card has held its price. 3 of the ebay sales were not graded and one was graded a PSA 7.  I did not see any sales for any perforated cards.

1 comment:

  1. Back in the 90's... I wasn't a fan of this concept. But over the years, my love for oddball concepts (like mini cards, dare to tear cards, and these perforated cards) has grown.

    It's definitely in my top 10 wantlist... although I probably will never pick one up, unless I win the lottery. It's just too much to spend on a piece of cardboard.

    In fact... the only card I'll drop a Benjamin on is a 1956 Topps Jackie Robinson.

    ReplyDelete