Friday, August 26, 2011

The Iconic Series: 1983 Topps All Star Card Mike Schmidt

First off, I don’t like separate all-star cards. I yearn for the days of yesteryear when Topps would put the all-star designation on the players regular-issued card.

However, probably for the 1983 Topps set, the All-Star cards work the best (out of all the all-star subset in the last 30 years, 1983 Topps was the best.).

I have a minds eye of just about every Topps, Donruss and Fleer Mike Schmidt card until 1983 or 1984. I can think of a year and picture his card in my head from that year.

There is something about this card that stands out from any other Mike Schmidt baseball card. His rookie card suffers from too much Dave Hilton.  His MVP years were in a down design year ( Topps 1980) and an odd looking All-star banner (Topps 1981 -the green borders and banner did not go well with the Philly red). His 1983 Donruss card stands out for me because he was wearing someone else uniform while he was batting and Bill Conlin made a note of it in his baseball column.   However, I think this is his most iconic card

No comments:

Post a Comment