Saturday, February 12, 2022

Who is The Greatest Band of the 21 Century - Maroon 5 or Nickleback

         I know I can't believe that I wrote that - but we are now some 22 years into the next century and so far the Beatles, Rolling Stone, Led Zepplin, The Who, Bon Jovi, Van Halen, Earth Wind and Fire, The Who, U2 etc......are not walking (through that door or) up on to that stage.

As I sit here today, I can't think of 2 bands who have more hits this century than Maroon 5 and Nickleback. The scary thing is I don't think there are any other bands that are close (though possibly Destiny's Child except they had a lot of late 1990s music hits). 

Music of the 21st century seems to be dominated by the solo artist, I don't know if that is going to change soon. 

If I had to pick I would lean toward (yes, the hated) Nickleback as the greatest band of the 21st Century. 

Anybody else to nominate?






2 comments:

  1. Man, that's tough.

    I contribute to the music site DigitalDreamDoor. We don't have a list for greatest artists of the century, but we do have lists for greatest artists of the 2000s and 2010s. (They're not lists that I edit.) For the 2000s, the top groups are:

    4. Radiohead
    7. Outkast (assuming we count a duo as a band)
    8. The White Stripes
    9. Coldplay
    14. The Strokes

    Nickelback is #49; Maroon 5 isn't listed.
    https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_artists00s.html

    For the 2010s, it really shows when you mean about solo artists ruling. There isn't a group until number 20, and that's a duo, Run The Jewels. Then you have:

    21. The Black Keys
    25. Imagine Dragons
    27. Vampire Weekend
    28. Maroon 5

    Nickelback doesn't make this list. https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_artists2010s.html

    There's not a lot of crossover on the lists--the only group that's in the top 70 of both is The Roots, at 61 and 55. Even the solo artists mostly are different, but Kanye is number 2 on both.

    So...I guess Radiohead, maybe? Or Coldplay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great article and I learn a lot from this.

    ReplyDelete