This is my ode to Star Trek The Next Generation. It has been more than 25 years since Star Trek the Next Generation premiered in the fall of 1987. I did not really get into the show until its 2nd season when it really caught its footing. It is my favorite TV show of all time. Here are (in my opinion) the best episodes ever. Also listed is the date they approximately were shown in syndication.
18. The Defector (12/30/89) A good yarn starring the Romulans. A submarine tale.
17. Future Imperfect (11/10/90) The Romulans are at it again causing what the title suggests.
16. The Neutral Zone (5/14/88) This would be the prelude episode to the Borg.
15. The Measure of a Man (2/11/89) A Court Room Drama that is really about Slavery.
14. Where Silence has no lease (11/26/88) – The episode that turned me on to the series. You feel like you are on the ship with the crew. A somewhat spooky show.
13. The Game (10/26/91) Wesley Crusher returns and he is finally useful.
12. Unification (11/2/91) Picard, Spock, a tie in to the Undiscover Country Movie which would come out in a few weeks.
11. Where No One has Gone Before (10/24/87) The Enterprise goes to the farthest reaches of space with surprising consequences.
10. A Matter of Honor (2/4/89) An exchange program with the Klingons – Unbelievable original television – this episode in the second season solidified the series as must watch TV.
9. The Most Toys (5/5/90) Data has the lead role, the most surprising ending and A 1962 Topps Roger Maris star in this episode.
8. In Theory (6/1/91) Data has a girl friend, nuff said.
7. Clues (2/9/91) The best written and conceived episode of the series.
6. Cause and Effect (3/21/92) A very well written episode involving a Time Loop. The last great stand alone thought provoking episode of the series.
5. The Best of Both Worlds (6/16/90, 9//22/90 ) The Borg Returns, I waited all summer for the conclusion of the greatest season ending cliff hanger ever.
4. Inner Light (5/30/92) A very emotional episode giving Picard a chance to live out a future that he will never have.
3. Yesterdays Enterprise (2/17/90) – An Alternative Universe with the return of Tasha Yar. It feels like watching a Movie
2. All Good Things (5/23/94) A 2 hour series finale episode, one of the best ever on TV. Ties into the first episode and completes the series. The 4 movies that would come after pales in comparison to this show.
1. Q Who (5/6/89) Intro to the Borg. The best show of the Series. This one was intense.